Wednesday, March 16, 2011

rewrote renderer

I rewrote the rendering library last night and now the engine uses polygon clipping, the FOV is corrected and now it is possible to look up and down using the mouse... (yes; I folded on my thoughts of mouse aim in flash games... *sigh* ).

I imagine that I might be reusing the rendering library I made a few more times... maybe the map engine too... just for quick projects though... the actual rendering library I made is fed vector points, it then clips them and renders them onscreen... pretty simple but useful to have lying around.

An interesting thing about the new renderer is that it no longer colours the tiles darker using colour transformations... it renders a second texture that holds a transparent shading map... the effect is alot more nice and pretty fancy... It gives more atmosphere than vertex shading... It sort of looks like a volumetric fogging effect at times.

Well... the project is getting closer to being finished... even though the rewrite of the renderer from scratch only took a day; it was quite an effort... I had to resync up alot of the other functions...

Hopefully I'll get around to writing a few tutorials on all this later on... and release the source code at some point.... it could be a good learning tool for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment