Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Raccoon Crisis (already completed)

Raccoon Crisis was my second attempt at a flash game.
It was coded in AS2.

As you can see; the game has
a VERY primitive 3d engine...
There were 15 levels in "story
mode" (which hardly had any
story apart from the you having
to kill zombie raccoons that
for some weird reason are
the size of people and have
guns....), and 1 level for
survival mode (which never
ends).
There were 4 kinds of monster
and 3 kinds of gun.
The game was never really
successful, but it has had
over 30,000 plays... but this
is mainly thanks to it being uploaded to Chinese servers at some point.

I think the two main problems with the game were:

1. It was too DAMN hard! Those li'l jumping raccoons ran too fast....
    I coded this before really thinking about including frame skipping
    code and I coded most of it on my REALLY slow notebook so
    I had no clue how fast they ran until I already finished it!

2. I had a lot of complaints about people not understanding the controls...
    (up and down for forwards and back, left and right to turn, A & D to strafe
    and space to shoot).

Quite frankly I knew the controls were odd, but I still refuse to use a mouse to
turn and look in a flash game... It's a stupid thing to use! Many people suggested
this but I've pretty much ignored it because I know how frustrating it is... If you
click outside of a flash window, you're no longer controlling the game. I also
decided early on that I won't use a mouse for anything other than mouse based
games because most casual gamers use notebooks, laptops & macbooks and
trying to use their internal mouse thingy for a FPS is frustrating, so I had those
people in mind.

The music was mostly composed by my friend "Awista", who I had done alot
of imagery for his band, so I guess it made sense that he could do music for my
game. He composed all the music for the "story mode" and I composed the
piece for survival mode.
Awista's music sounds a bit scratchy in the game, but this isn't his fault...
He recorded it quite well, but since this was only my second flash game
I knew very little about compatible sound formats and ended up losing
alot of quality in my format conversions.

I had tried to get this game sponsored, but looking back on it I understand
why I didn't get one... it was very rushed and I was still learning. I had a
few expressions of interest, but they were more interested in where I'd go
after this with a bit more experience.

If you are interested, the game can be played at:
Raccon crisis on Newgrounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment