Sunday, January 29, 2012

Started Android games development


Late last year I purchased an Android phone (just an Optimus p500),
I purchased the phone because my last phone (a cheap thing I've had
for quite a few years); died... I figured if I got an Android phone I
could teach myself how to code for it.

Not coming from a Java background made it a bit confusing at first...
Not really the Java part... but I eventually got it... Multithreading was
a bit confusing for me... but I eventually got that too...

I started with a simple "touch the smiley faces to make them pop"-app,
but then moved onto OpenGL ES 1.1... Being the impatient kinda guy
that I am... I decided to port my flash gFPS engine to android.

Unfortunately OpenGL ES doesn't like dynamic creation of meshes...
And the entire map was drawn from the ground up for every render in
the flash engine... I originally wanted real-time editing in game (for
rocket blasts and such), but this just wasn't working... So I ended up
dividing the 50x50 maps into 10x10 models to display when on screen.

Over time I added 3d model imports for static and animated meshes
(the animation is just vertex based), dynamic lighting (very simple tile
based lighting) and some other stuff....

If you go to my youTube page you can look through my development
videos... My youTube page

I've been finding it hard to find time to finish this project, but I'm hoping
to write in a Finite State Machine and handle all non-engine code through
it... if it's succesful, I'm hoping it will speed up the development and
if it works well, I'll probably write a short horror adventure using a slightly
modified version of the engine after this project using more complicated
FSM connections.

I'll probably post an *.APK file link for testing reasons soon (my internet
connection is being slow right now).

I'm hoping to be a bit more active from now on, so expect more updates...
Maybe people might actually start reading this so that I'm not just writing
to myself.... YAY! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment